Smartphones have become an indispensable part of our life. We use them to check the weather, order our groceries, track our health, and communicate with our loved ones. And while the functions offered by the latest smartphones are impressive, there are further possibilities to uncover.
One of these possibilities is the integration of Material Sensing sensors into smartphones, allowing users to analyze everyday objects and materials effortlessly. When it comes to Material Sensing, the applications are almost limitless: identifying textile compositions, determining alcohol levels in beverages, or monitoring crop – everything is possible.
In this article we will explore three possible smartphone applications in more detail to highlight the power of Material Sensing and how it can benefit each and every one.
Know what you buy: Quality, counterfeits, and textile compositions
A smartphone with Material Sensing capabilities enables you to learn more about the textiles you buy, wear, and treat on a daily basis. This ability poses especially useful to...
- Make sure that textiles are authentic and avoid counterfeits
- Check that the composition of textiles matches the information on the textile label and avoid retailers that declare wrong information
- Ensure that there are no fibers contained that could cause allergic reactions
- Choose the right washing programs to avoid damaging clothing and fabrics
If you work in the textile industry, this feature is also useful when selecting suppliers and building consumer trust. Smartphones with Material Sensing capabilities enable you to monitor textile quality from the initial procurement of fibers, through the whole production chain, and even beyond without the need for any additional analysis devices.
© [Gorodenkoff] / Adobe Stock
Know your food: Freshness, sweetness, and nutrients
Through a growing awareness of a healthy lifestyle and nutrition in society, it is also becoming more important to know what exactly our food is made of. How much sugar is in the apple? How much protein does the meat contain? Is it actually oat milk or is it something else? These are questions that Material Sensing can answer within seconds. Additionally, smartphones with Material Sensing capabilities could help to...
- Monitor the freshness of food stored in the fridge
- Determine the ripeness and sweetness of fruit
- Check for allergens in food
- Determine alcohol levels in alcoholic beverages
- Increase quality of baked goods through the characterization of flour and its quality
- Determine protein levels in food such as protein shakes and meat to better monitor personal protein intake
Know your garden: Fruit, vegetables, and soil health
Smartphones with Material Sensing capabilities also pose a useful tool for farmers, hobby gardeners, and foragers. The technology can be used to...
- Monitor the health of indoor and outdoor plants
- Analyze soil and apply the right amounts of nutrients and fertilizer
- Check levels of sugar in fruit to determine their sweetness
- Identify mushrooms to avoid poisonous specimens
- Identify wild herbs to use for cooking and healing
Additionally, Material Sensing can be used to determine the ideal harvest time for fruit and vegetables. This is a groundbreaking ability for farmers as it can reduce the waste caused by produce harvested too early or too late in the season.
© [Strelciuc] / Adobe Stock
These are only three examples in which smartphones with Material Sensing capabilities could make a difference. Applications such as these can make our lives safer, more convenient, and more sustainable. They offer us a way to see the world and the materials that surround us from a new perspective and enable us to make better decisions. What will you analyze first?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are a smartphone manufacturer and would like to learn more about the possibilities of integrated our miniaturized chip into your products.